Saturday, June 19, 2010

A Fascinating Train Set

I love trains,more than anything else.Be it the frequent journeys or just watching them from afar as they go by or be it in the TV!.I dont know how I became fond of trains but here is something more to share about some interesting stuff I found. The finding of this site was in between a conversation  with Andreas, a German friend of mine.During my first interaction I asked him the obvious question,"How was your experience on the ICE ?". He later shared this wonderful website and I am sure people who are reading this blog would have a good time too!



While the both of us were discussing how trains work and run in our respective countries, Andreas pointed me to this site.I later found that his father Mr Reinhard Gotthelf was also fond of trains as I was,and that the very passion lead him to build this huge and lively train set.Believe me when I say lively I mean it!Its got all the things you would encounter while in a train journey tunnels,bridges,manned crossing,stations and what not!



These steam engines must have been in India too when the British were ruling here. Haven't seen them anytime but Ive heard of some heritage packages which use steam locomotives.I was also told by my grandmother that the Maharajahs had their own private railway companies which would include train stations and lines.This is true in the case of my native place warangal.Our station was established by the then Nizam's during their rule over the region during the seventeen hundreds.

Coming back to the train set,Ive been told that Mr Gotthelf  built this at a local train club they have.It all started in 1996 and the construction a train plant was included in 1998.Looks like this has everthing we can imagine!The dimension of the model railway line built here amount to 9.50 meters in length and 4 meters in width.The whole journey is around 49meters.



While most of the modelling and the  track layout was his father's Idea,the design of the whole system is based on the Peco railmodeller. I guess some of the stuff in the model must have been obtained from this company.

Buildings used in the set

This one reminds me of the huge Diesel Loco shed I get to see every time while I leave my station.While the real sheds are a treat to watch during the night times(The lighting system is fantastic!),the miniature one has also made a mark in my mind!What more can I say other than wow!



Looks like the approach to this station is more similar in reality to my very own town.Ha! interesting stuff here.The view is so realistic,It has goods trains,coal based engines and probably a diesel engine chugging along in the distance.The signalling system looks to be very perfect in design and implementation.






There are tunnels through which the trains pass through.I have never traveled through tunnels but heard that a journey to north India takes us through loads of them especially the capital New Delhi



Rather than describing  what all  Ive found,I would like the readers to have a look at the site for themselves,and know more about this  model put up by Mr Gotthelf.Only true dedication and hardwork can result in such an amazing train set.Kudos to Mr Gotthelf for designing this!

I would also like to thank my friend Andreas Agotthelf for sharing such a wonderful link which intersects with my passion for  trains.Please use google translate to know more about the link.

ThThe dimensions of the model railway amount to 9.50 meters in length and 4.00 meters and 6.00 meters in width. The journey is around 49 meterse dimensions of the model railway amount to 9.50 meters in length and 4.00 meters and 6.00 meters in width. The journey is around 49 metersThe dimensions of the model railway amount to 9.50 meters in length and 4.00 meters and 6.00 meters in width. The journey is around 49 metersThe dimensions of the model railway amount to 9.50 meters in length and 4.00 meters and 6.00 meters in width. The journey is around 49 meters

2 comments:

  1. I'm not a train buff myself, but looking at those pictures and the site I can't help but admire the enthusiasm and commitment of those who created it. Respect!

    Please pass on the 5 stars ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andy


    5 stars given the moment I saw the site :D it was nearly a month ago when I was given the link by Andreas

    ReplyDelete