Saturday, January 25, 2020

Getting pulled into in the Apple Eco System

Its been a long time since I came back to post something here but here goes...

2 years ago, I never would have imagined. to be pulled into the Apple ecosystem. I was a hardcore Android fan since my first ever phone which I purchased in 2011. I would spend hours and hours on rooting and unlocking the boot loaders of my Sony Phones. 

Circa 2017 - It was just another weekend when I was headed to T-Mobile store to get the Samsung Galaxy Edge which had a BOGO offer going on. While at the store, one of my co-workers nudged me into getting the iPhone 7 Plus. Eventually, I so fell in awe and love with the fluid UI experience the iPhone that it was only a matter of time before another apple product would make its way into my day to day use.

In early 2018, I started having severe joint pains due to psoriasis. It came to a certain extent where I needed some motivation to walk every day and keep me engaged. My eyes fell on the Apple watch series 2. Having an iPhone made the apple watch a natural fit to share my health data between both the phone and the watch. This was at the beginning of 2018. I would also end up walking 4 miles every day in the trail behind my home.

Come Thanksgiving, I was already looking for a portable computer to consume Netflix and other services.  I am a movie buff, so it only made sense for me to go for a tablet. My initial thoughts were not to spend a lot of a Tab, and rather go the safer way of getting a cheaper Amazon Kindle which ran on a forked version of Android. The 9.7-inch 6th generation iPad which would usually sell for 320$ was being sold for 60$ less... around 240$. I could not resist the urge so yes I got an iPad for thanksgiving. Not to mention, I even upgraded to an iPhone XS Max in late 2018.

One last craving which I always had in my mind was to get a high-end Macbook Pro with lots of RAM. Being a SQL Database admin and an ardent follower of technology meant that, I needed my own sandbox space to learn and test the bleeding edge of whatever technology I was working on. Initially, I used to go around apple stores looking for the 32 GB custom Macbook pro. But I wanted more memory power. My mind was leaning towards the Lenovo P series laptops which seemed to have an insane amount of processing and memory power for a portable workstation. But I held on to my guns.

Apple had quietly released the 16'inch version of Macbook pro in late 2019. I started checking the configuration and when I found that a 64 gig machine could be requested, I immediately started plans to get one these babies. In the last week of December, Apple had an offer for 6% cashback on all the hardware it was selling on the store and online(Provided you had an apple credit card). Another surprise was when the store employees mentioned the corporate discount I could get. This brought the entire discount of the laptop by 506$. My pockets were still cut deep post these discount. The price was still almost a month's worth of paycheck on the laptop but I have no regrets about it. This is a dream machine which I wanted for a long time and have it for now and will keep it for as long as I can


Time flies so fast that, it's hard to imagine me appreciating and savouring the Apple ecosystem. It only seemed like yesterday when I was all over the social media - especially on Facebook cursing Itunes as the crappiest piece of software I ever came across. Time changes some aspects of our lives and surely, the influence and appeal of Apple products is something which will always keep me in awe.



No comments:

Post a Comment