Sunday, December 4, 2022

Why am I looking for a mentor at this point in time

I have been working as a database admin for the last couple of years now, and every gig I came across had a learning curve with it which I was able to add those learning experiences into my resume. 

During my first project at IHG, I learnt about Availability Groups and Vmware because of very supportive windows team which was maintaining the SQL environment back then before I was brought in. 

In Ciox health, which was my second gig, I showed great enthusiasm to learn AWS concepts on EC2 and RDS as the company was planning to move their db's to both these environments. It was an exciting time as I never got exposed to cloud environment before, and  it was mostly  me and my manager working with the cloud team on this project when it was in its POC stages

My current contracting gig at UPS began almost 3 years ago, and since then I have learnt  concepts on which I never worked before like partitioning, readscale AG's,Distributed AG's and also got to work on POC projects like Docker and Kubernetes. All of these jobs have brought some level of fulfillment in myself that I have something new to learn every time. I want to expand my horizon a little bit more into data engineering side of things and get into Azure, Azure/Synapse/ADF and all the other goodness which can be learnt from across the fence. I also want to expand my network in the SQL community  through volunteering and speaking engagements as i am quiet a shy person. A mentor could potentially help me show pointers towards right way to learn data engineering side of things and also on getting more active within the SQL community. 


No comments:

Post a Comment